We have been loving the 2015 Prophecy Merlot and hope you have been too! We think this pairs incredibly well with a Minted Shepherd’s Pie, especially as Winter approaches and the days are getting cooler.
Get your ingredients sorted
- 2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks, finely sliced
- 500g lamb mince
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup peas
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup minced fresh mint
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 40g Butter
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
To create the pie
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. Heat a large pot of water and bring to a boil then boil the potatoes until a fork easily passes through the chunks. When they’re done, remove the potatoes from the heat, and drain the water. Add the butter and milk before mashing until creamy and smooth.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat then add the onion, carrot and celery, stirring,
for 8-10 minutes.
4. Add the mince, breaking it up as it cooks, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add the tomatoes
and stock before letting it simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Add the peas, mint, salt and pepper then stir to combine. Spoon the mixture to a large
oven proof baking dish.
6. Spread the potato mash evenly over the top using a fork before sprinkling the
parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Download the recipe: Minted Shepherd’s Pie